- White River girls win close game at state | Girls State Basketball Tournament
- White River boys lose to Mark Morris | Boys State Basketball Tournament
- She's after him with a hatchet; Bear scare is actually raccoon | Snoqualmie Vall...
- Inglemoor to play for fourth in state tomorrow morning | Prep girls basketball
- 2014 Northwest Region Sport Stacking Championships at Auburn High School Saturda...
- City gets new tools to deal with nusiance properties
- PSE's plan to 'Energize Eastside' looking at two posible routes through Renton
- Kangs advance to state semifinals | Prep boys basketball
- About Us
Connect with Us
Spartan soccer team wins state champsionhip
The Sumner High School Spartans girls soccer team capped off a perfect season Saturday with a 1-0 victory over Sehome to hoist the trophy as 2A state champions.
Katie Huff scored the game's only goal in the 35th minute, off an assist from Kaylie Rozell. It was all goalie Jamie Lange needed as the Spartans remained undefeated for the season.
Sumner advanced to the championship game with a 4-3 shootout victory Friday against Squalicum after the teams played to a 0-0 finish in regulation.
Rozell, Alyssa Murray, Brooke Lamcaster and Kelsie Coleman picked up the shootout goals for Sumner on Friday.
The Spartans finished the year 21-0 and most games were not even close. From an opening day 9-0 win over Decatur, the Spartans were off and running, allowing only two goals against all season.
Many games throughout the championship season were blowouts, with the Spartans scoring at least 9 goals on their opponents a total of nine times and racking up double-digit totals in four games.
Rozell led the Spartans this season in goals and assists with 31 and 15, respectively. Ellie Degoede and Lancaster each finished with 18 goals. Huff, who picked up the winning goal in the championship game, finished the years with 12 goals, followed by Sarah Carter at 11 and Murray at 10.