- Ready for anything: Former Snoqualmie mayor Fuzzy Fletcher goes into the disast...
- Alpine Lake expansion takes strong step toward reality
- Three suspended license arrests | Buckley Police
- Auburn traffic advisory: 8th Street NE/Lea Hill Road at 104th Avenue SE
- Police arrest Federal Way suspect in connection with five bank robberies
- About Us
Connect with Us
Psychologists are breeding bogus service dogs | Letters
Your April 12, 2012, article on fake service dogs raised an important issue.
Dr. J. Lawrence Thomas and I have written an article in the Journal of Forensic Psychology Practice about letters psychologists write on behalf of patients who have service animals.
Unfortunately, just like bogus service dog vests that can be purchased by anyone, too many medical and mental health professionals are signing boilerplate letters for patients saying they have service animals. Since more and more businesses, airlines, landlords, etc., know that service dog vests don’t really prove anything, people who want to upgrade their pets to service or support animals are getting psychologists to do it for them.
John Ensminger, Stone Ridge, N.Y.