- Pierce County Prosecutor charges man with assault of a child for Carbonado incid...
- Federal Way police arrest suspect in teen’s drive-by shooting death
- Take our Valentine's Day survey!
- State Patrol seeking information in highway robbery Jan. 24
- Police release sketch of home invasion suspect
- Washington State Patrol seeks information on SR 18 robbery and assault
- Threats made at city establishment | Buckley Police
- About Us
- Legal Notices
Connect with Us
Home suffers major damage in early morning fire
Smoke detectors are credited for saving a South Kitsap family after a fire broke out in their home, according to South Kitsap Fire and Rescue.
Battalion Chief Jeff Faucett said the fire was reported about 3:18 a.m. Aug. 22 and SKFR units were dispatched to the home on SW Rapids Drive.
“The caller advised that the fire was on the back porch of the home and smoke detectors were sounding,” said Faucett. “While our units were responding our dispatch center advised the fire was in the living room.”
When the first unit arrived, firefighters found a mother and her two small children safe in the front yard.
“There was fire visible from the side of the house and fire inside, what appeared to be the kitchen,” Faucett said. “Our firefighters quickly pulled their hose lines and entered the building to extinguish the fire. “
He said the home suffered heavy smoke and heat damage.
Puget Sound Energy crews were called out to secure the power to the building.
The SKFR chaplain and American Red Cross are assisting the family of four with temporary housing and supplies.
The Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s office is investigating the fire.
“Tonight a major tragedy was prevented by three working smoke detectors,” said Faucett. “The detectors activated and woke the occupants up. We are very pleased in their conscious decision to grab the two small children and leave the house immediately with only the clothes they were wearing.”
Faucett said none of the occupants were even wearing shoes.
“Our opinion is this decision saved this family from serious injuries,” he said. During the event they were able to stay warm and dry inside one of our ambulances.”
Faucett reminds the public if they do not have a working smoke detector to call SFKR at 360-871-2411 and a detector will be installed for free.
A total of 5 volunteers and 13 career firefighters responded to this incident.