News

Bainbridge police identify suspect in string of residential burglaries

Bainbridge Island police have identified the man they believe to be the serial burglar responsible for a string of residential burglaries that began on the island in March.

An arrest warrant has been issued for Jason Michael Lucas, 35.

Chief Matthew Hamner made the announcement during a press conference with reporters Wednesday.

Police said Lucas is believed to have been involved in 25 burglaries in Kitsap County, with 24 of those break-ins occurring on Bainbridge Island.

The string of burglaries stretched from March into April, and roughly two dozen homes were broken into during daytime hours. Police said earlier that the burglar, or burglars, made off with easy-to-carry items such as jewelry and laptop computers, as well as three firearms.

Sketches of the suspects were drawn up April 25 after one intruder attempted to enter a home while one of the residents was still inside.

A 22-year-old woman was at home during the afternoon Wednesday, April 16 when she heard someone entering the house.

She retreated to a bathroom, locked the door and called 911.

Officers were able to produce sketches with the help of several other witnesses who had also seen the burglar man over the course of two months.

Bainbridge police reported earlier that the suspected serial burglar stopped breaking into homes after the sketches were released.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.