Soccer star Hope Solo issues apology on Facebook page for alleged assault at Kirkland home

Hope Solo enters the courtroom at the Kirkland Justice Center on Monday during her court appearance. - Mike Siegel/Seattle Times press pool photo
Hope Solo enters the courtroom at the Kirkland Justice Center on Monday during her court appearance.
— image credit: Mike Siegel/Seattle Times press pool photo

Kirkland resident and two-time women's soccer Olympic gold medalist Hope Solo issued an apology on her Facebook page Thursday for an incident that landed her in jail on June 21.

Solo, who's legal name is Hope Stevens, is charged with assaulting her 17-year-old nephew and half-sister during a family party at her half-sister's Kirkland home. She has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

"I would like to apologize to my fans, teammates, coaches, marketing partners and the entire US Soccer and Seattle Reign FC communities for my involvement in a highly unfortunate incident this past weekend," Solo said in the statement. "I understand that, as a public figure, I am held to a higher standard of conduct. I take seriously my responsibilities as a role model and sincerely apologize to everyone I have disappointed."

Solo allegedly arrived at the party upset and intoxicated and continued to drink with her half-sister.

An argument between the teen and Solo ensued when she told the boy that he was "too fat and overweight and crazy to ever be an athlete." The argument became physical, according to court documents.

"The male caller stated that a female at the residence was 'hitting people' and they could not get her to stop or to leave the house," Kirkland Police Lt. Mike Murray said.

During the fight the boy broke a broom stick over Solo's head. When Solo's sister attempted to break up the fight, Solo allegedly punched her in the face, the documents continue. The teen allegedly pointed a BB gun at Solo in an attempt to get her to leave. The boy told police Solo "kept circling like a shark."

Solo's nephew had visible scratch marks, was bleeding from his ear and his t-shirt was torn when police arrived, according to court documents.

The Seattle Reign FC goalkeeper was charged with two counts of domestic violence and booked into the south King County detention facility on Saturday morning.

"I love my family dearly," Solo's statement continued. "We, like all families, have our challenges but my sincere hope is that we are able to resolve this situation as a family. Adversity has always made us stronger and I know this situation will be no different."

Solo also thanked her supporters and people who reached out with messages of support.

"Due to pending legal issues, I cannot comment further at this time," the statement continued. "However, I am confident in the legal process and believe my name will be cleared. I look forward to getting back on the field where I belong with both Seattle Reign FC and the US Women's National Team."

The Seattle Reign FC has stated that Solo is eligible play Saturday when it takes on Sky Blue FC at Memorial Stadium in Seattle.

“Hope is not guilty of any crime. In fact, our investigation reveals that Hope was assaulted and injured during this unfortunate incident," Solo's defense attorney Todd Maybrown said in a statement. “We look forward to the opportunity to present the true facts in court and to having this matter behind Hope very soon.”

The prosecutor originally asked for $5,000 bail but Kirkland Municipal Court Judge Michael J. Lambo released her on her own recognizance with a pretrial hearing set for Aug. 11. Lambo also barred Solo from drinking alcohol prior to her next court date.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.