- LWSD superintendent releases statement following Marysville-Pilchuck shooting
- Four Juanita High School students arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting ano...
- National Weather Services releases wind advisory for Enumclaw
- Curvee Awards gala gets under way at 7 p.m. tonight
- Two dead, four critically wounded in Marysville high school shooting
- Preparing for the worst: Valley Medical Center staff preps for possibility of Eb...
- Mount Si girls soccer goes into playoff for chance at championship
- Renton, Bothell youth football teams banned from playoffs after parents fight in...
- Final weekend for the 'Cedar River Salmon Journey'
- Shirtless customer makes off with tip jar | Lonely dog spurs argument between ne...
- Rock blasting-related closures finished for the year on Snoqualmie Pass
- Shooting cancels Marysville-Pilchuck game against Oak Harbor
- It's Homecoming Weekend for the Lindbergh Eagles
- Bothell parents charged with assault in fight at junior football game
- Burglary at a Pioneer Street residence | Enumclaw Police
- I-5 in Seattle to close near Boeing Field overnight Friday
- About Us
- Legal Notices
Connect with Us
Former Federal Way High School coach arrested for sexual relationship with student
A former Federal Way High School basketball coach was arrested on Friday after admitting to a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old female student.
Cathy Schrock with Federal Way police said a friend of the victim originally reported that the 23-year-old female coach was sexually involved with the student, who is also a basketball player.
Both the player and the coach admitted to the relationship and the coach was booked into jail subsequently. Her bail was set at $70,000.
She now faces charges of third-degree rape of a child, possession of child pornography, viewing child pornography in the second degree and child molestation in the third degree.
Probable cause documents state the victim said the inappropriate relationship began at the end of 2013 until presently.
The two have allegedly kissed, sent each other naked photos and have sexually touched each other, according to the documents. The victim said she and the coach spoke about the difference in their age and that they would have to wait to have a sexual relationship until the student was 16 years old.
Post-Miranda, the coach confessed to the touching and sending/receiving of naked photos.
Federal Way Public Schools sent home a letter today to all applicable students who may have had contact with the basketball coach.
A copy of that letter, written by Federal Way High School interim principal Chad Littrell, encourages parents to “take this opportunity to talk to your student.”
“The safety and well-being of our students is our first priority,” Littrell wrote in the letter. “We depend on our staff, students, parents and community members to be alert to what’s happening with our students, and to notify us when a concern arises. It takes all of us working together to maintain a safe and positive learning environment.”
Littrell states if parents hear anything of concern, they can file a police report with Federal Way Police by calling 911 or by calling the Safe Schools Tip LIne at 253-945-SAFE (7233).
District spokesperson Debra Stenberg emailed the following statement, "The safety and well-being of our students is our highest priority. As soon as we became aware of the allegations, we contacted the Federal Way Police. We are cooperating fully with their investigation."
The Mirror will update this story when more information becomes available.
Editor Carrie Rodriguez contributed to this report.