- Be safe: National Night Out coming to Snoqualmie Police station
- Former Skyline cheerleader found dead in Louisville, police investigating overdo...
- Gunfire exchanged outside downtown Safeway Monday
- Biotech company to layoff workers, shut down facility in Bothell
- Auburn traffic advisory: M Street SE at Auburn Way South
- IRS scam prevented by officer | Enumclaw Police
- About Us
Connect with Us
Man on motorized bicycle dies after being struck by SUV on Highway 20 | UPDATED
The Island County Coroner's Office identified the victim as Kelly Wayne Shields, 49, of Anacortes.
A man died Wednesday after he was struck by an SUV on State Highway 20 while trying to cross the road on a motorized bicycle.
The accident occurred at 3:40 p.m. about a half-mile North of Oak Harbor city limits, said Mark Francis, public information officer for Washington State Patrol.
The victim, a 49-year-old man from Anacortes, was leaving the parking lot of Liberty Market when he attempted to cross the highway.
Francis said Brian K. Williams, 52, of Burlington was driving in a Black Ford Expedition Northbound on Highway 20 when the man pulled out in front of him.
"He tried to slam on his brakes, but couldn't fast enough," Francis said.
The man died at the scene. Because next of kin has not been notified, State Patrol is not yet releasing his name.
"He wasn't wearing a helmet," Francis said. "Though, I'm not sure it'd make a difference."
"It was fatal from the get-go."
Police do not believe Williams was impaired and he voluntarily submitted to testing.
Francis said the cause of the accident is the bicyclist's failure to yield and no charges against Williams are pending.
Highway 20 was temporarily closed while police investigated. Francis said it reopened around 6 p.m.