Police arrest two students in bomb threats

Working on leads gathered by officers, Port Orchard police made two arrests in connection with three suspicious bomb threats at the South Kitsap High School during a two-week period.

Police arrested two male students — a 15- and 16-year-old both who attend South Kitsap High school, according to Police Chief Geoffrey Marti.

Marti said the 15-year-old suspect was arrested about 3 p.m. May 15 and the 16-year-old was arrested at 10 a.m. May 16. Both suspects were arrested at the high school. He said the arrests came through a cooperative efforts by the detectives and school resource officer working diligently on the case.

“From day one when we got the first threat, we have devoted a lot of time and effort trying to identify who was responsible,” said Marti. “I am proud of the police work by the detectives and school resource officer in identifying these people. It was not easy.”

He said that the high school received the third bomb threat between 7 and 8 a.m. on May 14.

“The call came in and it indicated there was going to be a violent act some times later in the day,” Marti said.

A search of the building and campus resulted in no explosives being found.

Marti said the arrests were a result of leads that investigators received and followed up on.

“Through multiple sources we were able to develop some information and able to identify the two suspects involved,” he noted.

Marti said the 15-year-old male was the prime suspect and the other student was his accomplice. The prime suspect was charged with making a bomb threat and the accomplice was charged with being an accessory to making the threat.

Marti said both suspects were arrested, charged and taken to Kitsap County Youth Services Center in Port Orchard. They remained at the center as of Friday afternoon.

After the school received another possible threat on May 14, the school was evacuated. Two other bomb threats were made on May 2 and May 9.

During the May 2 bomb threat, students were released 30 minutes early from the school after the school received a bomb threat. The Navy Northwest Region bomb squad responded to all three incidents.

On May 9, the CenCom — Kitsap County’s 911 center — received a call about another possible threat and the school campus went into modified lockdown.

SKHS Principal Jerry Holsten sent a letter to South Kitsap School District officials to thank them for their cooperation and notifying the district about the arrests.

“Our goal has always been and will continue to be to provide the safest environment possible,” Holsten wrote in the letter.

“With the outstanding effort of the Port Orchard Police Department, our outstanding staff and information obtained during the investigation, we believe we will be able to do just that.”

Holsten also sent automated calls to students’ families about the recent bomb threats and arrests.











We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.