South Kitsap High School lifts modified lockdown

South Kitsap High School has lifted modified lockdown at 10 a.m. this morning, May 9.

The following message was sent to families from SKSD officials:

"After working with local law enforcement and the Naval police we are lifting the lockdown and operating school as normal. We went into a lockdown this morning due to an issue near our school.  Local Law enforcement and Naval police searched and cleared our area of any threat to our students and staff. We want to thank staff and students for their patience and cooperation.  We also want to personally thank students for limiting their usage of social media during this time.  We asked students to do this for safety and to ensure information reaching the community especially parents was accurate to limit rumors and panic.

The school went into lockdown, after the school received a bomb threat earlier this morning.

Port Orchard police officers, along with personnel from the U.S. Navy Region Northwest’s bomb squad were on site this morning.

According to Twitter, at 7:40 a.m., South Kitsap High School went into a modified lockdown due to police dealing with a student outside of the school.

On the South Kitsap School District website, the following was posted:

“We are currently experiencing a modified lockdown at SKHS for the safety of our students and staff.  We are asking all students and parents to not use social technology at this time.  As soon as we have additional information we will provide it. As per our procedures for a modified lockdown, classes will resume as normal and movement throughout the building is limited.  Phone calls coming in are difficult to attend to, so please be patient and we will get information out as soon as possible. We will provide information via Skyward, and via the web.”

Students remained inside the school while officers checked the area.

This is the second threat in the past week. On May 2, the school received a call at 12:30 p.m. from a male who said there were some explosives and possible firearms at SKHS, the largest high school in the state with more than 2,200 students.

SKSD officials decided to let school out 30 minutes early while the Navy Region Northwest’s bomb squad, which brought in a pair of “bomb-sniffing” dogs to check inside and outside the school building.

Check online for updates on this story.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.