- Tukwila teenager suffers life-threatening knife wound in fight at Cascade View...
- Attorney fees and costs awarded to YarrowBay and Black Diamond by Court of Appea...
- Google donates more than $200,000 to provide wireless networks at two Kirkland...
- Covington House fire displaces family of four | Kent Regional Fire Authority
- About Us
- Legal Notices
Connect with Us
Prop. 1 appears headed for defeat
In the first round of ballot counting, completed election evening, King County's transit funding measure appears headed for defeat.
As of Wednesday morning, voters are rejecting the measure at a rate of 55 percent.
The measure would have increased the county sales tax by 0.1 percent and increased car tab fees to $60. The money would go toward preventing steep cuts in Metro services and to funding road improvements in the cities.
Officials predicted the measure would raise about $130 million in revenue, with 60 percent of the money going to Metro and the other 40 percent being sent back to cities for roads.
Should the proposition continue to fail, steep cuts are ahead for Metro transit, including to routes in Renton, though our city fares better than others.
According to an analysis last year by the City, six routes would be deleted, 10 routes revised and six would remain unchanged.
It is an overall service loss of 4 percent to the Renton area, compared with some areas of the county facing a reduction of 69 percent.
According to a memo prepared by Public Works Administrator Gregg Zimmerman, Metro routes 110, 161, 167, 908DART and 909DART would be the ones deleted.
Revisions would also be necessary to the following Metro routes: 105, 106, 107, 111, 114, 143 EX, 148, 240, 342 and 907DART.
The new RapidRide "F Line," which begins service in June, will not be affected.