- White River girls win close game at state | Girls State Basketball Tournament
- White River boys lose to Mark Morris | Boys State Basketball Tournament
- She's after him with a hatchet; Bear scare is actually raccoon | Snoqualmie Vall...
- Inglemoor to play for fourth in state tomorrow morning | Prep girls basketball
- 2014 Northwest Region Sport Stacking Championships at Auburn High School Saturda...
- City gets new tools to deal with nusiance properties
- PSE's plan to 'Energize Eastside' looking at two posible routes through Renton
- About Us
Connect with Us
Fire alarm results in Langley Middle School evacuation
Reports of a possible fire at Langley Middle School resulted in a facility-wide evacuation Monday.
South Whidbey Fire/EMS crews responded to the 3 p.m. incident and found "heat and smoke" in an upstairs room of the historical two-story brick building, but no fire.
A school official said the source of the problem was in a heating duct, though it's not yet clear just what malfunctioned. Smoke, however, set off fire alarms and triggered the evacuation of the old school, which is currently used by Whidbey Island Dance Theatre, along with the other school buildings on campus.
Class was already out for the day, but a basketball game was going on in the adjacent gym. The game was called to halt and everyone removed to a safe distance while firefighters investigated the scene. Game play resumed at about 3:30 p.m.
Additional details about the incident will be included in a story in Wednesday's edition of the South Whidbey Record.