- Kent School Board names new superintendent
- Four year old airlifted to Harborview after falling out window | Maple Valley
- Auburn Riverside beats Peninsula 2-0 in SPSL 3A opener | Baseball
- Test drive goes up in flames | Update
- KCSO detectives arrest seven in prostitution emphasis in Port Orchard
- Slideshow | Rehabilitated bald eagle takes flight | South Sound Critter Care
- About Us
- Legal Notices
Connect with Us
Fire alarm results in Langley Middle School evacuation
Reports of a possible fire at Langley Middle School resulted in a facility-wide evacuation Monday.
South Whidbey Fire/EMS crews responded to the 3 p.m. incident and found "heat and smoke" in an upstairs room of the historical two-story brick building, but no fire.
A school official said the source of the problem was in a heating duct, though it's not yet clear just what malfunctioned. Smoke, however, set off fire alarms and triggered the evacuation of the old school, which is currently used by Whidbey Island Dance Theatre, along with the other school buildings on campus.
Class was already out for the day, but a basketball game was going on in the adjacent gym. The game was called to halt and everyone removed to a safe distance while firefighters investigated the scene. Game play resumed at about 3:30 p.m.
Additional details about the incident will be included in a story in Wednesday's edition of the South Whidbey Record.