State receives another Kent applicant for marijuana production plant

The state has received yet another recreational marijuana applicant for a Kent property.

A proposed business called Hummockville has applied to the State Liquor Control Board for a producer and processing license at 8001 S. 194th St., in the North Kent industrial area.

The liquor board released an updated list Tuesday of applicants. The state has received nearly 1,700 applications, including 795 for producing, 580 for processing and 324 for retail outlets.

So far, three applicants have applied to open recreational marijuana retail stores in Kent, Hong Mart Smoke Plus at 23635 104th Ave. S.E.; Odyssey Smoke Shop Inc., 23254 Military Road S.; and Weedsdom, 7641 S. 259th St., Suite 101.

Other earlier applicants include Organiccare for a producer and processing plant at 0521 121 St Way S.E. and BWIT for a producer license at 26010 42nd Ave. S.

The city of Kent bans recreational marijuana businesses. The majority of the City Council approved the ban because marijuana remains illegal under federal law.

Voters statewide approved Initiative 502 in November 2012 to allow recreational marijuana producers, processors and retailers. The liquor board started taking applications Nov. 18 for those who want to operate the new businesses expected to open by next spring or summer. The applicant deadline is Dec. 20.

The city of Kent would be allowed as many as three recreational marijuana retail stores under rules passed by the liquor board. But since the city

bans recreational marijuana stores as well as production or processing facilities, if someone came to the city for a permit to operate a marijuana retail shop, the city would deny the permit.

Applicants could choose to file a lawsuit against the city in an attempt to allow the business.

Liquor board staff will investigate each application before approving a license. An investigator will look at numerous documents including operating plans, floor plans, personal/criminal history statement, fingerprint cards, copy of approved identification, business structure forms, lease information, purchase agreements, financial/source of funds statement, copy of bank statements and/or tax returns and affidavits.

Businesses also must be at least 1,000 feet from schools, playgrounds, recreational centers, child care centers, public parks, public transit centers and libraries.

To see the marijuana business applicant list, go to and select Marijuana License Applicants.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.