Man pleads not guilty to shooting at casino

Reporter staff

Antonio F. Castro pleaded not guilty at his arraignment on Monday to shooting and seriously wounding two men on Nov. 16 in the parking lot of the Muckleshoot Casino in Auburn.

Prosecutors have charged the 63-year-old Renton man with two counts of assault in the first degree with firearm enhancements.

Castro is in jail with bail set at $500,000. His first case setting hearing is Dec. 16 at the Maleng Regional Justice Center.

The two victims, Brian Beasley and Daniel Mora, are recovering from their wounds.

According to the Determination for Certification of Probable Cause filed by Auburn Police — mostly based on what Castro told police — Castro had been driving with his wife through the parking garage of the casino shortly before 8:45 p.m. when Beasley and Mora, who were walking near his car, confronted him.

According to the police account, Mora walked over to the driver's door and began cussing at Castro. When Castro reached under his seat for his Smith and Wesson 9-mm handgun, according to the account, Mora started to taunt him, urging him to shoot.

According to the account, Castro began to drive slowly down the ramp but stopped at the exit when he noticed that Beasley and Mora were still following him. According to the police account, Mora walked up, kicked Castro's car and tried to open the driver door, which Castro knew was locked.

Then Castro, according to the account, fired one shot at Mora, who ran off toward the casino entrance with Castro cashing him on foot.

According to the account, "Beasley fell down and crawled toward a bush, crouched down." Castro stopped at the bush and, from less than 3 feet away, according to the account, fired into Beasley's upper back one shot that exited at the front of his throat. According to the account, Beasley then got up and ran off with Castro in pursuit.

About 30 feet on, according to the account, Castro found Mora hiding in some bushes and fired at least one shot into his chest, collapsing his lung. As Mora ran off, according to the account, Castro fired one-to-two more shots at him.

According to the police account, Castro later admitted to police that he'd been upset with Mora and Beasley for their comments and for kicking his car. According to the account, Castro conceded he had not been in fear for his or his wife's safety when he chased the men and that neither man had a weapon in his hand when he shot them.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.