Five Auburn elementary schools named Washington HealthierUS School Challenge winners
February 28, 2013 · 12:30 PM
Five Auburn elementary schools – Gildo Rey, Ilalko, Pioneer, Terminal Park and Washington – recently won national awards for creating healthier school environments through promotion of nutrition and physical activity.
The awards were administered by the HealthierUS School Challenge, a voluntary certification initiative for schools participating in the National School Lunch Program. It supports First Lady Michelle Obama's Let's Move! Campaign by helping schools raise healthy children.
A total of 74 Washington schools won the award. The awards are based on how the schools:
• Improve the nutritional quality of the foods served
• Provide students with nutrition education
• Provide students with physical education and opportunities for physical activity
Auburn schools adopt a variety of practices to ensure students eat healthy and play regularly including:
• Before and after school fitness activities such as open gym and run clubs
• Fresh fruit and vegetable afternoon snacks
• Safe walking and cycling routes to school
• Walk-to-read programs
• Heart rate monitor and pedometer incentives