- Woman assaulted on Redmond Way, police working to identify suspect
- Federal Way school board to select new superintendent tonight
- Maple Valley man killed in early morning collision with Metro bus on SR 169
- Impounded vehicle may be connected to double-homicide in Bremerton
- Federal Way Councilman Moore drops out of 30th District race, endorses Hickel
- About Us
- Legal Notices
Connect with Us
Enumclaw City Councilman Kevin Mahelona dies
The information received indicated the 54-year-old Mahelona suffered from acute interstitial pneumonia.
Th longtime councilman was first elected in November 2001; he was re-elected twice and began serving his most recent four-year term in January 2010.
Mayor Liz Reynolds stated by phone, "The council has lost one heck of a council member and the community has lost one heck of a council member. He had a high level of integrity."
Reynolds said as mayor and on the council, "I was fortunate to serve seven years with Kevin."
"Kevin took his job seriously," Reynolds said. "He always did what was good for the whole and set aside his personal feelings. I am really going to miss him."
The mayor said Mahelona made the Oct. 17 budget workshop, but had to skip the Oct. 24 workshop.
Reynolds said he wrote in an email, "(I) can't seem to kick this cold."
He emailed the mayor early in November and stated he thought he would miss all the meetings during the month.
Reynolds said among his many skills and talents on the council was his ability to comprehend, "every page of the budget."